Julia - Atlanta, Georgia

This I believe: I believe that teens are capable of making good choices. No question teens are faced with difficult choices; but when faced with a tough choice teens sometimes make the wrong choice. For example my first high school football game was quite an experience. It was the first time I had ever seen teens who had been drinking or done drugs. I had expected to see this because as a student everyone knew that many teens drank and went to the football game; but it still shocked me. It was very strange seeing people I had gone to elementary school with drunk. This was the first time I really felt disconnected from my classmates. I felt alone at school even when I was in a hallway full of people. I felt like I was the only student who didn’t drink. My second experience with underage drinking/drug use was at my friend’s sweet 16 party. I stayed for about an hour then called my mom to come get me. I was happy when a small group of girls asked me if my mom could give them a ride too. I finally found other teens who didn’t partake in illegal activity. It helps knowing teens that don’t drink or do drugs; it shows that not all teens make bad decisions.

Nevertheless I believe teens are capable of making good choices. I for one have run on my high school cross country team for the past three years and know that it has helped me stay healthy and develop leadership skills. I also know plenty of teens who are preparing for college, volunteer, and who are active in their community. It is also very important to have good relationships with your parents. I know I can talk to my parents about anything and that helps me make good, educated choices. I believe in myself so I really don’t feel the need to be popular and that makes it very easy for me not to give into peer pressure. I think that if teens talked to teens more about how they really feel about drinking and doing drugs it would have a greater impact on teens; rather then if parents talked to them. Even though teens make bad choices; I believe that we are capable of making goods ones and should start making them more often.