Sarah - Bowling Green, Ohio
Themes: birth

If I were asked what I thought was one of the most over used or abused things today in our society, after giving it some thought, I would answer, “Abortion”. I know that doesn’t sound like a normal answer to that kind of question, but I really do believe that there are too many women in our society today that are getting abortions. Now, I know that there are times when it is safer for the mother to get an abortion than it is to give birth, and in those circumstances I wouldn’t consider that to be abusing what the purpose of an abortion is for, but, it is when girls and women don’t want children, and yet they continue to have sex and think that if they get pregnant they can just simply get an abortion, that I believe is when abortions are being abused. To me, an abortion is not a simple thing and it cannot simply be done; it should involve a major thought process and if there is no extreme physical danger in the mother even having the child then, I don’t believe an abortion should even be allowed. That is why I believe in the right to life.

It is true that there are many logical reasons why young girls and women today are getting pregnant and then thinking that the only choice they have is to get an abortion, but really they have so many other options than that, it is just that so many things and people in our society today are telling them that an abortion is the best and easiest way to deal with their problem, and that is the first mistake right there that girls and women are giving in to. To me, a child should never be thought of as a burden or a problem, but rather a blessing, and I am not the most religious person, really, but I do believe that having a child is a gift and not a problem that can just simply be eliminated. If any woman finds herself unexpectedly pregnant then she should think about her options, even if everyone around her is telling her to get an abortion. The first option that there is instead of an abortion is to give the child up for adoption. I understand that it can be very scary to think about the responsibilities of raising a child, especially if the mother is alone and has no money, but that is not the child’s fault, and they should have as much of a right to live as the mother does. So, if that is the situation then there are plenty of women out there who can’t have their own children and would love to adopt one instead of seeing another woman waste her ability to give birth by getting an abortion, and therefore I believe the right choice would be for the mother to give her child up for adoption to be cared for and loved by someone else or even a whole other family who has the means to take care of the child and give it a good life. The second option is that the mother can seek help or guidance through her pregnancy at the many various pregnancy help centers that there are all over the United States, even if there is not a local one near by, there is surely one that is not too far away. At the help centers they gladly welcome women of all ages and are happy to help them. They want women to see that having their baby aborted is not their only option, however, they do not force women into choosing to have the baby either, they just want to make women feel more comfortable and feel better prepared for what they are about to go through if they do choose to have the baby. They do not want women to feel cornered into making a decision they don’t want to make, they are there to just simply help and talk to the women. So before making the immediate decision to have an abortion I believe that women should think about not only themselves but also the child and what is best for them.

I think that I have always been the kind of person that is against the ethics and morals of abortion, but it wasn’t until my Junior and Senior year in high school that I really began to think about and develop my position on the subject. At my high school, as a junior and senior, students have the chance to take part in one of the largest protests against abortion in the United States; The March for Life, in Washington D.C.. As a junior in high school I was not able to raise the money to go, but because the march is also one of the largest events that my high school takes part in, the subject of abortion was being brought up all the time in class discussions and that is when I really began to form my opinion about it. When I realized how important it was to me to be pro-life I made a promise to myself that I would raise the money to be able to go on the march my senior year, and sure enough I kept that promise to myself and I am very happy that I did. Going on The March for Life was one of the best times of my life because, not only was I speaking out for something that I believe in but I was doing it with thousands of other people that felt the same way. Just knowing that almost 100 of my fellow high school students, some that were really close friends and some that I had never even talked to before, were traveling up to Washington D.C. with me to fight for the right to life was one of the most exhilarating and happiest times of my life.

I believe that life and being able to create it is one of the most beautiful and precious gifts that we have as human beings and no life should be thought of as such a burden that it should not be given a chance to live. I know that sometimes it can be very hard on young girls and women to have to carry and give birth to a child but if there is no real danger in having it then that child should have as much of a right to live as the mother does. This is why I am pro-choice; this is why I believe in the right to life.