Casey - Conway, Arkansas
Themes: carpe diem

Time is Everything

Hurry up or we’ll be late!

What time is it?

How long will it take?

And the all time favorite, are we there yet?

Without realizing it I use these same expressions more than just a few times a day, I live off them. You see, time is something that seems very valuable in today’s modern world. Society now has instant coffee, microwavable dinners, high speed internet, and hundreds of fast food choices. Heaven forbid a family having to actually sit down and eat dinner together. Living in such a fast paced world can make anyone forget a thing or two about quality time and how important it truly is to spend it wisely. I believe time is a precious gift that often slips away and is taken for granted.

I was five, had a red bow in my hair and a Flintstone lunch box in hand. Mom held me close as she shed a tear and dropped her baby off to my first day of kindergarten. Not so sure about the sticky fingered boys, but happy to be starting school just like my older brother, Matt. Now fourteen years have quickly vanished, mom and dad just left my dorm and I’m starting all over. It’s hard to realize that so many years full of memories have passed and I’m finally here, in a new place I call home. Through those past years there have been people I’ve lost, stories left untold, and words left unsaid. I guess I never noticed it until this day came when I was left on my own with more time than an antique clock. During high school I was involved in everything, never feeling like there were enough hours in the day, and always wishing there were more. College offers much more free time, less stressful days, and more independence. I’ve had the chance to slow down and understand that I will never be able to see the people I lost, finish telling them the stories, or say what needed to be said.

I believe time should have significance, understanding, and meaning. A memory can only last forever if it is first created. Making memories and taking full advantage of life, to me, is living life well and making use of our short time here on earth. My hour glass is steadily running out of sand. I can only take every breath God gives me for what it is worth; otherwise I will always wonder what could have been and never know whom I’ve missed.

Time is life’s worse enemy. Looking outside I notice the leaves beginning to change and the vibrant green grass slowly turning a light brown. A few new wrinkles are more noticeable in mom and dad, and I might not be quite as flexible as I use to. However as time creeps along I will endure these changes and make the most of every day, believing time is a precious gift which is often taken for granted.