Barry - Conway, Arkansas

I Believe I am Hungry

As I opened the package from Hollister Company and stared down at the purposely destroyed jacket I paid $120 for, I thought to myself how I just had to buy the distressed jeans, graffiti print t-shirt, and leather flip flops that would match the jacket perfectly. I was hungry for more.

I did research for a speech over possible conspiracy theories that occur or have occurred at Area 51. After literally hours of research, I only ended up finding three possible theories that sustained relevant information; it was the studio used for the faking of the moon landing of 1969, it is a place for illegal dumping and burning of toxic waste, and a housing place for aliens and alien spacecraft. I wanted more. I wanted my speech to be better than everyone else’s. I was hungry.

Although I found no other suitable theories, I researched the theories I had found through and through. I found more than I bargained for; screen captures of the moon landing which helped prove the theory of the faking, lawsuits filed by widows of men who were exposed to toxic waste after being employed at Area 51, and apparent pictures of dead aliens and their spacecrafts. My hunger led to my getting the best grade in the class.

I walked into the mall and my eyes darted to the rack of sunglasses. I didn’t need any more sunglasses. I look absolutely terrible in them. But what did I do? I dashed over to the rack and found numerous pairs of shades that I inevitably purchased. Once again, I was hungry.

Where does this form of hunger come from? Is it greed or style? Is it self-consciousness or over-confidence in the sense I can have whatever I want whenever I want?

I guess that it’s good to be hungry. If I get a “B” on a paper, I work that much harder to get an “A” until I finally do. I always keep up with the latest trends, no matter what the cost. If I think that I can do better, it usually means I can. And I do. I have an appetite. An appetite for the best. Hunger is universal; my hunger is personal.