Music Changes Things

Kristopher - Conway, Arkansas

You really can’t understand the impact music can have on people’s lives until you experience it first hand. I’m proud to say that I’ve experienced this phenomenon. Music doesn’t just affect me in the little ways, such as lifting my spirits on an otherwise depressing day. Music has affected me on a more permanent and character maturing level. Music is part of all our lives and can’t be ignored, therefore, I believe music can change people’s lives.

I like to believe my life was altered in 2003 when I attended my first concert. It was a standard rock concert with bands that had a more profound positive message than what I normally listened to. I had never been much of a music enthusiast before that night, and the artists I listened to before had messages and attitudes that just flew by me. This band of “hard rockers” presented a concept that I had never discovered in music before: purpose. It wasn’t just a more interesting way to waste time, but it had something driving the musicians and their instruments. They wanted to move people. Since then, I have discovered an entire library of artists whose common goal is to have an effect with the sounds they make through music. And it works, or at least it did on me. I use to idolize celebrities who mostly just did their job, now I’ve found more influential heroes in bands like Audio Adrenaline, dc Talk, and Switchfoot. I’m more of a positive person and mature than I was four years ago or even in the last year thanks in part to the music I fill my head with every day.

I wish the impact music had on people was always positive, though I know that’s not the case. You can not doubt the power of music that has something to say. Whether its impact is negative or positive is something for the artist to decide. It’s really the same thing as advice in the eyes of different people. What is a good advice or opinion in one persons view could still have negative impacts. In the same way that music changed my life for the apparent better, someone could grow up listening to tunes that tell them that the key to life is to get rich and to step on anyone who gets into their way, or perhaps to put a cap in them.

It seems music has become so powerful that it’s like a superpower that can be used for good or inherent evil. Music can be used to bring about motion at whatever its message sets its aim at. It could inspire a kid who receives personal salvation from hearing a powerful song of worship or it could motivate Charles Manson who believed The Beatles were speaking to him. Music changes lives, and forever will as long as it holds our listening attention.