Heather - Conway, Arkansas

I believe that one day America will no longer be free.

While surfing the internet the other day, I ran across an article that discussed the possibility of banning perfumes in schools and in the workplace. This raised the question of what else people are pushing to have banned in America.

Some people want the Bible out of court houses, while others want it kept in. Some people believe that Harry Potter is a book of the devil and needs to be banned from our schools. Others simply want to ban smoking in public restaurants. What separates one person from another person? What assures that their freedoms and their opinions are more important than someone else’s? Every person has a cause that they want to fight for no matter what the repercussions. Without realizing it, they stamp out freedoms.

People interpret certain laws to fit their own beliefs. For example, in Pennsylvania, a federal judge ordered a Ten Commandments plaque out of courthouse. Why? Some people thought that it violated the law of separating church and state. In Nebraska, a religious monument was ordered to be removed from a city park after an atheist with the American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit. People believe that they are the only ones with strong beliefs and it always messes with the people around you.

Another reason I believe that America will not be free one day is because we all take our freedom for granted. We always expect it to be there. We all are guilty of abusing our freedom. Its like our freshmen year of college. We aren’t used to so much freedom so we go wild and abuse it. We go to parties and skip class and just do things that our mommas told us not to do because there is no one to tell us not to do it.

It’s amazing to see the amount of passion that stems from these debates. I believe that America will no longer be free because of the ignorance of the people in it. We all want what is best for us and our families. Unfortunately, however good these beliefs sound to one person, it does not always work together to benefit the whole.