Justin - Cabot, Arkansas
Themes: death, question

Cystic Fibrosis

It was my sophomore year in high school, and I thought that nothing could go wrong. I had just come back from the hospital where I had visited my favorite cousin. It would be my last time to step foot in that hospital. When I got home from that next school day, I could tell that something was wrong the moment I walked in my front door. She had not made it through the night. At first I was devastated. I could not understand why something like this could ever happen.

It was my first true encounter with death. Eventually. I started looking for answers. I knew that there had to be an answer for the pain that death can bring. I quickly found what I was looking for. Believing that death is only the beginning was the only thing that remotely helped to soothe the pain. The belief gives life meaning and an overall reason for living to be a good person. With that meaning while I am alive I can also look forward to seeing my cousin when my time comes, along with all of the others who have left me during my life. Life after death gives the world hope. Without it the world would be much more somber and chaos would run even more rampant than it already does. That should make everyone thankful that there is a life after death.

Even if the death in itself may hurt, and continue to hurt as long as death eludes you, believing in an afterlife makes the pain more than bearable. Life is just the first stage in the complicated events that a person will go through. More like preparation for something that you aren’t ready for until you die. Still though some do not believe in this wonderful gift after death. I cannot help but to feel sorry for these people. What do they have to live for, and how do they learn to just accept death? I guess I just don’t understand. What I do understand though is that even if there really isn’t anything after death, and we have just evolved from simple celled organisms, the belief that there is life after death still gives hope. It can, and should, be used by everyone to achieve both happiness and understanding in a time that where both are hard to grasp.