Kerry - Niagara Falls, New York

When you work in retail, everything is your fault. People have come to believe that customer service equals slavery. They find customer service representatives worthy of their demands but not their respect. I believe that people have forgotten that retail jobs do not pay anyone enough to put up with their crap.

A few months ago, I took a job at a chocolate store in an outlet mall as a customer service representative or, as the patrons like to think, a professional life-ruiner. I take my job very seriously and will do whatever I can to ruin said lives.

It is I who decides what stores will carry which types of chocolate bar. The closest store that has your favorite bar in stock is three thousand miles away because I made it that way. Remember that delicious cherry and chili chocolate bar you tried in France? We had it last week, but not this week. I knew you were coming this week.

I am also the person who determines the sales tax not only on our items, but on all items sold in New York state. I know that eight cents on the dollar seems like a bit much, but I want it that way. It makes you crazy, and that is how I like it.

For those of you who visit our store from just across the border in Canada, it was my idea not to accept your currency. I told the corporation it was a bad idea, and the president of the company agreed with me. I am aware that every other store in the mall accepts Canadian currency at par, but I just do not feel like it. I t is true that the American and Canadian dollars are very close these days and, as every dutiful Canadian citizen reminds me, the tables may soon turn to make the Canadian dollar more valuable. Frankly, I do not care. The one thing I do care about is making you angry.

I also decide when you are going to max out your credit card, when the mall closes, when sales are going to end, when your toddler is going to throw a fit, and when every little thing in your life is going to go wrong. That is my duty as a life-ruiner.

I believe that people have forgotten about the low wages of the retail industry, but I also believe they have forgotten something far more important. I believe that people have lost their sense of compassion for others. People have stopped caring for other people simply because they are human. We are all in this life together. You will forget your wallet every once in awhile, and sometimes your favorite chocolate bar isn’t on sale. Don’t worry, though-it will probably go on sale nex week when you are out of town.