Kathryn - Joplin, Missouri

I believe I have met the greatest woman in the history of all women! The grandeur of her life went by without notice to most, but I had the honor of discovering it first hand. Her intelligence surpassed her sixth grade education; mostly because she learned to do things out of the goodness of her heart instead of out of the knowledge in her head. This same goodness is the reason she served on a nursing staff at a local hospital for twenty five years, caring for the needs of others. Her talents were vast and numerous. As I recall she could crochet for a while, drift off to sleep, awake and continue to crochet, having never lost count as to where she was. Incredible! Her ability to bring peace and comfort to her guests simply by the aromas that she produced in her kitchen has never been matched. Neither has her chocolate chip cookie recipe, but not from lack of trying. The wealth she gave to others was her time and her concern. Her faith in God was steady and reassuring to all those around her. Over the years, I discovered that there were a few things that she was incapable of doing. She couldn’t raise her voice in anger. She hardly spoke the word, “No”. She couldn’t go a day without calling those that she loved just to fill her time with the sound of their voices. She could never forget a birthday, and lately I have discovered that she was incapable of entering a persons’ life without bettering it before she left. Most of the world never knew this woman, but she truly was the greatest woman in the history of them all. I’m not sure why I was chosen to be privileged with her time, her touch, her love, but I’m thankful that I was. She left this world in July last year and most of you never knew. You need to know that she was here, that she was amazing and that she was my grandma; and though you never met her, you’re thinking of her now, and that is good! Dessie Blackburn-Farrin was the greatest woman of all. This I believe.