Kathryn - White Hall, Arkansas

Click It

Have you ever had those dreams that are so realistic, so lifelike, that you really have no idea when you finally wake up if in all actuality, it did, in fact happen? Was it all a dream?

It was a late, rainy night in February. We had just left our school’s annual Valentine’s Day dance. My two best girl friends and I wanted to go out for a little while before heading back to the house for the night. We all got in my true love, my car, and went out.

We stopped by one of our date’s houses, where quite a few of our friends had gathered. We did not party or drink like most of the other kids that night, but instead we just visited and talked with everyone. After a short time, probably less than thirty minutes after arriving, I received a phone call from my mom. The usual, “Where are you? What are you doing? Who is there? Come home now!” This was a really common procedure I went through numerous times with her. As she had requested, better yet ordered, I gathered my two friends in my car. We took off again in my little black convertible sports car.

Driving back home, we went down a street we had all gone down so many times before. I can remember seeing a flash of lights, very bright lights. It was the kind of vision that usually can wake you up from your dream. Only when I woke up, I had to crawl out of some little black sports car. I did not know who I was, where I was, or whose car I was in. I saw a crowd of people in the pouring rain. People I knew that I should know, but did not. I was put into an ambulance and taken to the hospital.

I finally woke up from that dream. I was in my room, in my own bed. My parents walked in and told me my dream was not even a dream at all. It was a nightmare, which was my reality. I was hit by an under aged, drunk driver. This person made a choice to drink and drive, not ever thinking twice how he was about to encounter three young girls and threaten their lives. My friends suffered injuries, as did I. However, these injuries were minor thanks to a simple click we all made when getting in the car that night.

I could see my forehead just by looking up. It was safe to say, my head was a little swollen from my concussion. My knees hurt, like someone had hit them with baseball bats. My chest hurt and was bruised from the seatbelt. That was a pain I was willing to get over for the simple click saving not only my life, but also my two best friend’s lives.

This I believe, seatbelts do in fact, save lives.