dawn - washington, District of Columbia

I believe in my child’s Birth Mother

I believe in my right to extend an expression of gratitude toward the Birth Mother of my child. My husband and I adopted our daughter from an orphanage in Kunming, China.

Birth Mother, there are so many things that I would say to you if we were to meet. No profession of gratitude could ever begin to express my eternal thanks to you for giving me the greatest gift of my life. You have given me the gift of true happiness.

I wish I could comfort you when you think of your beautiful girl and wonder how her life is. I promise you that she will have a happy childhood and that she will be the most loved child on this earth. I promise you that we shall cherish and respect her.

I thank you for the warm blankets you wrapped her in on that fateful day and I thank you for leaving her in front of the police station, where you knew she would be found right away. You knew she would not be too cold or too hungry for very long. Maybe you hid and watched from a distance to make sure she was discovered safely. I can only imagine that this was the most difficult decision you have ever made and I am sorry for your indescribable loss. I know your spirit must have died in that moment, the moment she was gone forever. I thank you for your great love for her and your desire for her to survive. She is the single most important thing in my life and I will never take one moment with this child for granted.

Though I have never met you, we will always share this beautiful connection. I know that you will live your life wondering what became of your baby and I want you to know that she is safe, happy and loved.

I want you to know that she has parents who will spoil and love her. Perhaps she will grow to be like you, brave and heroic. That is how I envision you. I will tell her that you loved her, that you are selfless and though you knew your heart would break from sadness, you wished for her to have a good life. I will tell her that you sacrificed because you wanted her to be happy.

I want you to know that our daughter, yours and ours, is the most beautiful, intelligent and happy child I have ever seen. She is so vibrant and she loves life so much that she never wants to sleep, she does not want to miss out on anything. There are no words for this type of gratitude, you have given us life, both a wonderful life for our beautiful little girl and a happy life for us and we are eternally indebted to you.

This I believe……….