Chinavia - Conway, Arkansas

Read, Observe, Learn Then Judge.

I believe that a book should never be judged by its cover. Individuals should never assume a persons’ character based on how they look or how they dress; you should at least get to know that person first. When I transferred to Northview High School during my tenth grade year I did not have any friends. When I entered my third block class, which was chorus, I noticed an empty chair next to this girl who I had already prejudged as being mean and on of those “What you looking at” type of girls. She was looking extremely mean as if she did not want to be bothered.

However, I surprised myself by making conversation with her simply because I wanted to know if anyone besides me had Mr. Bright next block, and from that conversation I found out we both had him. We became best friends and did mostly everything together. The day I met Shamika I learned if you’re going to judge a book by its cover make sure you read it first. It’s been three years since Shamika and I met, and our friendship is stronger than ever. Now sometimes things don’t always work out that way, but at least put forth effort in getting to know a person before you label them.

People sometimes mistake me for being “stuck-up” especially when I was younger because I’m really reserved; when I’m trying to adapt to a new environment, I simply just sit back and observe. When people actually take the time to get to know me, they see that I possess a fun and caring personality. I

believe that people should not judge a book by its cover simply because they miss out on getting to know great people. In addition, they miss out on getting to know people who can fully understand them and mesh well with their personality. If you could look back to a time when you said “Man he/she was pretty cool, I enjoyed being around them, I hate that I waited so long to get to know them”.

That’s because an individual judged them before even saying one word to them. The meanest looking person in the room can turn out to be the sweetest person in the world so before you judge a book by its cover, read it first.