Christopher - Rogers, Arkansas

Friendship, it is the mutual feeling of trust, affection, and the behavior that personifies relationships between two or more people. Society believes that friendships are crucial to the human success story. What about the individual person though? What about me? I truly believe that friendships are a necessity to not only my life but others as well.

In my life, there is one certain individual that I can place as being my best friend, mentor, and guide. God places people in your life for a reason and four years ago God placed him in mine. My friend ended up being the guide through the dark tunnel and introducing me to the field of Broadcast Journalism and the University of Central Arkansas. Throughout the years we have traversed many difficult situations and had several fights but we decided a long time ago that we would treat problems and situations like adults. But just to deal with these situations and problems like adults will not solve everything but it is the backbone of the friendship that shows how strong bonds can hold people together. That is what makes any type of relationship able to survive, because it is not what is being fought over but the bond between the two people and the strength of that backbone that is most important.

When I have gone through a tough time my friend has always been there for me and when he was experiencing a very difficult situation a while back, I was there for him by being a sounding board and spending hours just talking things through. Friends are not just for leaning against in a difficult time though, but a learning tool as well. I have learned a great deal and had many great experiences over the years from not only my best friend but also some of my other closest and dearest friends. It is human nature to learn, adapt, and except from each other our faults and abilities.

Friendship is very essential to every person because of its power that it holds and not territorial or kingship power, but in the power of the mind. This is how a friend can be the one single individual, the one single reason that stops you from killing yourself, stops you from harming others, helps you save a life, or helps in making a life altering decision. My friends mean the world to me, and my best friend, I sometimes think that I have given more attention too and devotion too than my own family. That is to be expected though, many people can and do put their friends above everybody else. Someone that is closed and not willing to except others and have friends is missing out so much in life. God created us to have friendships and relationships with other people in the world and I know that my life has been radically altered by friendships. They truly are a necessity to life.