Jill - Saint Charles, Missouri
Themes: family, legacy

This I believe…

I believe in memories. Not the big, change your life memories…those have their place… but I am talking about those everyday memories. Those moments that when they are happening, don’t seem like a lasting memory.

Growing up in my family always meant spending a lot time together and not really being able to get away with anything. This makes us all incredibly close and gives us plenty of opportunities to have these little moment memories. But I don’t think any of us appreciated those moments until we realized how precious they really are.

Our family is on an intimate, first name bases with Alzheimer’s. And as horrible of a disease as it is, there is this period of time when one forgets they have that “forgetting disease,” the paranoia of not remembering subsides, and the everyday forgotten memories become your reality. My grandma, GG, had gotten to that place when I was in my mid to late teens.

GG, in real life, lived in a nursing home not far from our house. But, in GG’s world, her deceased husband came and visited her everyday, her children were playing outside and her friends were coming over for parties. On one of these days I went to visit her and did not even make it through the doorway of her room when I was berated with… “Where have you been? I have been walking all over the lake looking for you! Mary what were you thinking? That’s it, you are grounded until you’re 30!”

I was taken aback when the tirade began, but had to hide a smirk when the tirade ended. You see, my name is not Mary, however my aunt’s name is. So, I made amends and said I was sorry and headed out for the day.

Once home I immediately called my aunt to see what had happened. Her response? “Oh, I remember that night, we had a good time. It was totally worth it.”

You see, not a big memory, not even an important one. But it is these everyday memories that hold together the opportunity for the big ones to be so special.

I believe in memories…the good, the bad, the big, and the small. It is what makes life special.