Mary - Indianapolis, Indiana
Age Group: 65+

I believe In Friendships

If some friend of yours and you got into an argument or dispute and you stopped speaking for over a week. What would you do?

Would you call the friend of yours and apologize? Would you wait until he/she called you and apologized or would you call and act as if nothing had ever happened after a time? What is the most important thing? The relationship or who is right or wrong?

I believe that life is too short and that friends are too few to let something ruin your friendship forever.

Just recently I called a friend I hadn’t talked to in a long while. She told me that her husband, a good friend of ours, had passed away just a few months before. We talked and never said a word about what had happened in the past. I don’t know for sure what did happen. But I knew I missed this person and I wanted to be in her life again and have her I mine.

We talked for about an hour long distance and said we would stay in touch even though we live in different cities. I was so happy to hear her voice and I know she was happy to hear from me. We talked about many things that were going on in our lives now. We talked about our children and what they are doing. The conversation became very light and cheerful. I felt so much better after that conversation.

After that I received a card from her saying she had lost her Mother. A person I had known as long as I had known her. I was so upset to hear about that.

Now here are two people that had been in my life and they are gone forever.

I believe in forgiveness. I believe that relationships are precious and should be cultivated, nourished and watered just like plants. If we don’t take care of them they will wither and die.

If you have a friend that you aren’t speaking to anymore can you be the first to call? They might not be around if you don’t.

Thank you for this opportunity.