Sarah - Norwich, New York

I believe that music shapes and defines who we are.

When I was two I learned my first instrument, my grandma sat me down at our brand new piano and she said to me, “hunny this gonna change your life, music will let you meet people you never thought that you would meet. It will define you as a person, and will effect you in ways that you never thought possible.” She believed that music would help shape and define who I would become.

I love to see how music affects people including my self. If I am at a symphony orchestra in a large theater, listening and watching incredible conductors and musicians perform songs by Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven, the way people behave, dress, and speak is completely different then if I am attending a nightly jazz show. Where the lights are a cool blue and you have that soul feeling where you don’t have trouble in the world. Or if I’m at a live concert with my friends and our favorite band is opening and we are jumping up and down screaming our heads off. Just by the style of music it causes people to change what they are doing. You wouldn’t see guys head banging to the Minuet in G or ladies dressing up in evening gowns sitting all proper while a Rascal Flatts is singing “Life is Highway”.

Music is the one thing that brings people from all sorts of backgrounds, places, and cultures together. Each style of music shows a side of who we are, and helps us express ourselves. Everything including Country, Rap, Classical, Polka, and Hip Hop is part of what makes us who we are. Some songs make us relax after a long day, while others pump us up and get ready for the big game. Sometimes you just have a craving for a particular song or there is one that you just can’t get it out of your head. Music is what makes pre-teens blush at their first school dance when a slow song comes up and they know that they should ask their crush for a dance. Or it makes an elderly couple smile when they hear their song on the radio and they remember their first dance being married. We all have experienced music’s power over us at one time or another.

Music has always been a part of my life, and will always continue to be. I have performed in all sorts of musical groups, from symphony orchestras and acappella groups, to musicals on stage and jazz bands in coffee houses. I’ve listened to all styles some that express who I am and my emotions and that have connected me with people who have become my great friends. Music has helped me become who I am today by being exposed to it, participating it, and enjoying it. This is why I believe that my grandma was right in saying that music helps shape and defines who we are and who we will become.