My Belief on Athletes and Character

A. - Naperville, Illinois

Have you ever watched football and seen that whenever a player that thinks he is the best player scores and celebrates? Well that is called being a character, and I believe that the true athlete should have character not be a character.

One example is Randy Moss. He thinks he is a one man team plus he celebrates too much. One time he scored a touchdown and he started celebrating, he wasn’t thinking what might happen if he did it but he did it, he did an inappropriate gesture and he got suspended.

To have character is to be modest; an example of a person with character is Brian Urlacher. Urlacher is always making great plays; he tackles the running back gets up, and goes right to his position to do it again. He rarely ever celebrates but if he does it’s a small celebration like slapping a teammate’s hand, or something like that.

My coaches always tell me and my team not to celebrate. If we do we get consequence. They will make us run laps, or even worse bench us. Even though you want to celebrate you should try not to because even if you think no one is being hurt by your decision the other team most likely is deep down inside. Like my coaches my dad is opposed to people that are characters. He always yells at the TV when the bears score a touchdown and someone starts bragging. He tells me if I ever get somewhere in sports not to brag, be modest.

In conclusion as Aristotle said, “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” This tells me that we are our actions, if we are modest we are a team player, and if we are a person who always brags we think of our self as a one man team. Alike Aristotle, Earle J. Glade said “We are where we are, as we are, because of what we are.” So I think the true athlete has character but not be a character.