Mark - USA

I believe that music is not only a use of entertainment but also a therapeutic device.

Being a musician I have found that when I am distressed that playing music makes me calmer. The ease and the thoughtlessness it takes to play music is the very key to being at peace and understanding beauty. If one just stands back and appreciates the sound of music or even downtown noises they will realize how divine music and sound is. If every murmur is appreciated and recognized as the single most beautiful noise in the world, everyone would be calm.

There is a type of music that everyone enjoys. In my case it is a song with a heavy beat that is easy to dance or shake my hips to. I enjoy this kind of music because I love to be crazy and express myself. Music allows for this with no restrictions and no rules.

Music and rhythm is also a strong restorative for people with mental handicaps. I myself have siblings with various mental problems, bipolar disease, ADHD, and several other instabilities. I have found that music or a steady rhythm allows for them to focus more easily and just forget about their anger or problems. Heavy medication is not always the solution but music always has a way to alleviate stress. There are many improvements that music can provide for people with various problems.

Music also reflects the emotion of the writer or the listener. There are certain songs that whenever I hear causes tears to come my eyes because they bring back painful memories. This is why genres are so influential; they reflect the emotions of the listener.

Entertainment is the key role of music because of the emotional appeal it makes. Most musicians are only concerned with getting the highest profit margin that they can get from producing a song. They do not focus on the emotion and soul of the song and band. This makes music a job, and according to human nature, jobs are not fun. Music should always be regarded as what is fun be treated as a hobby, if it makes some bucks, so be it. Those who have the most fun playing music are those who only perform to hear the noise. Humans are the only animals that can appreciate music and many times abuse that power by trying only to make a profit instead of looking at the help and enjoyment the music can make.