James - Arizona

I believe in holding your tongue; not letting all blatant ideas run wildly into reality. You cannot just spill out every thought you have about something or someone. Though these thoughts will not always hurt someone, other times it can be emotionally scarring. I believe you need to stop for a minute and think. Many times this situation is present in everyday life, and is very harmful. People that do not know how to handle the emotional stress of being picked can end up violent. The bully will not hold his tongue, he is against holding one’s tongue… basically, he will hold your tongue. I am a criminal as well as a victim to the belief in holding your tongue.

I have been hurt by people’s words from the time I can remember; I was always picked on. Not having a father makes for the poison of words to spill out from bullies mouths. People have not stopped themselves from calling me names, and mocking my being for something that isn’t my fault. I have grown up with enormous mental stress because of other people’s words. I have had this thought protruding through my head, “It was my fault my father left us.” It doesn’t matter if the speaker thinks they will harm their audience, because they don’t care, they know not what they do. Though the saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me” has haunted my thoughts and filled my head; it does nothing to protect me. Though I have said these words aloud many times over, they still have not protected me. I have hurt those around me with my words. I am not always careful about the words I speak and the sentences they string out. I have failed at holding my own tongue where others have been harmed. I believe that while you’re a child words speak louder than actions.

Though free speech is present, I believe we should still take heed to what we say, and think before we expel it. Words leave a lasting mark; they haunt a person’s mind like a poison or a disease. They infest the thoughts of children and harm their judgment. Children cannot think clearly for these words that stab like knifes into their minds limit them. They have haunting thoughts running through their head. Sometimes they go to thinking it is their fault. They are scarred with this emotional strain until they break. These words do not leave gently, they come out through tears. “Hold your tongue for you speaketh not what you know.”