Noelle - USA
Themes: golden rule

This I belive

What comes around goes around. This I believe happens to all of us. Also known as karma, the actions you take will result in a reaction, or the law of cause and effect.

I am a believer of karma. I believe that if you do good for someone, then in return, you will receive good from others.

While living in Oregon, my father worked for the fire department. I would ride along with him in the fire truck to watch the firefighters put out raging flames. One humid summer night, my dad got called for another fire to extinguish. Once again, I went along with him to watch the show, and while watching this fire, I realized that I could be helping with the situation, before more damage would occur.

When the fire was over, I went to my dad and asked him if there was anyway I could help. He told me that it was too dangerous and that I should just stay in the fire engine. I really didn’t want to do this, I wanted to be involved. The very next time that I accompanied my dad at a fire, there was a perfect opportunity for me to help.

A child about my age was taken from the burning house and put near the engine where I was sitting. This little girl was crying, not knowing really what was going on. I decided that this was my chance to help. I went to the girl and talked to her. I tried to comfort her by convincing her that everything was going to be okay. By the time that the fire had settled and everyone was out of the charred house, the girl and I had made pleasant small talk that kept her from breaking down in tears.

I never thought of that experience as something that I had done for a reward, I did not do it for my pleasure, but for hers. A few years later, I was with my parents on the way to Arizona when our car broke down. A family stopped to help us, and right then and there, I realized that this was the same family from the fire incident. They helped us reach a tow truck and offered us a ride into town.

After this family had helped us, I realized that when someone does something good to others, later on in life you would receive good from someone else. I truly believe that when you are kind to someone, you will have the same reward in the future. I believe that karma is created by your actions. I know that helping the family at the fire was a good thing to do. From that point on, I have done good for others, even if I didn’t care for the person.