Chaliss - USA
Themes: gratitude

Chaliss Moreno

August 2007

AP English

I believe in everyday blessings. Watching my family members converse about their daily lives, and realizing the beauty and strength of family. Being able to eat a good meal, having the ability to pray. Some unfortunate people can’t experience these things or don’t choose to. Never having this perspective, I saw the smallest situations in a new light and of great value. I was more appreciative, thankful, and grateful for the smallest basics of my life. I believe that if others adopted this perspective they too would be more grateful, and therefore live content lives.

I thank God for all these blessings and without him I wouldn’t be here. One the greatest blessings I have is to be with my family. I was born on June 26, 1991. Being three months premature my birth was very dangerous. I only weighed 1lb. 12 oz. After my birth, I was required to stay in the hospital for another three months. My parents were loving and devoted, and visited daily for those months. Doctors warned my parents that the chance of me having severe disabilities was very high, so I am very thankful to have no damage today. I am thankful I have a strong healthy body and mind. I am thankful that we have available medicine for various conditions. I am thankful to have such a close family.

Unfortunately my younger brother, Nathaniel, was born with cerebral palsy. He too was very premature but born with severe disabilities. Obviously, this was a great struggle for my parents to sift through. Having a stressful birth previously, and then being hit by this obstacle. Nathaniel cannot see, walk or speak. It is very difficult to communicate and understand him, though my family always manages. When I see my parents with him I wonder, how did they do it? How were they able to stick together through five children and continue to be so happy? The only answer I come up with would be that they contained an optimistic view of each day.

Most people concentrate on the negative things in their lives, but when you concentrate on the small blessings of everyday you realize how lucky you are and extend the feeling to others. I believe my parents only choice was to focus on their blessings.

I believe that plenty people don’t take advantage of these blessings and easily overlook them. Sometimes it takes a situation such as my parent’s to give you such thoughtfulness, but then again anyone can take on this perspective.

I believe that the smallest things can be the most meaningful and that everyone would be more appreciative, loving, and fulfilled in their lives because of the recognition of the value in the basics of living. This I believe.