Tanai - Toledo, Ohio

Higher education as a requirement

The moment I walked across that stage and received my diploma, I felt such an accomplishment. I finished high school on top, decent grades, many friends, and very involved. I was so blessed to have attended a college prep high school and had a supportive family that pushed me to be the very best I could be. I began to think about other high school seniors that had not made it to where I was, those that might never get a chance to even go on to college. That’s when I started to think, maybe there should be more chances for those less fortunate that truly wanted to continue schooling.

Higher education should be a requirement for everyone after high school. If not required, it should be strongly suggested for everyone. In high school, counselors are there to advise us to go in the right direction after high school. They are usually the people that tell us whether we are “college material”. Since college is not for everyone, counselors are there to point us in the right direction. University, community college or trade schools are all options that should be considered for after high school. In our society today, it is almost impossible to get a decent job or career without a certificate of higher education. So with the opportunity to pursue higher education, better jobs and career paths will be available.

In order for college to be a possible requirement, money has to be available more easily for everyone. More grants and scholarships need to be given to everyone that is looking to pursue higher education. Grants and scholarships are very helpful for those that are looking for funds to help get through school. Since sometimes grants and scholarships are not enough, loans are also available. Without all of those financial possibilities, continuing schooling would be very difficult.

While getting people to continue schooling after high school might not be such an obstacle, keeping students enrolled could be a challenge also. Many students drop out of college after their freshmen year because of lack of interest and course difficulty. That is why I believe that more programs should be established to help keep students enrolled in school. These programs should provide tutoring and counseling. There should also be post-graduate programs to help students get on their feet. Those programs would offer help to search for jobs and careers and also help the students manage money to pay off any college debts.

The moment I walked unto campus the first day at Bowling Green State University, I felt like I began my new life. Maybe I will be as successful as I was in high school. I know it will not be easy but I know I can do it. I started to imagine myself walking across the stage here at Bowling Green State University to receive my degree. That day is my aspiration; my desire to receive that degree is my motivation. I know I am going to make it and I hope others will too.