airiana - toledo, Ohio
Themes: equality, race

I believe that everyone in America should be treated equally. In September of 2006, Mychal Bell a black student at Jena high school was arrested at the age of 16, for sitting under the “white tree” at his school and also for fighting a white student. Mychal, faces up to 22 years in prison for this incident. Everything started under the “the white tree” in front of their high school. The “white tree” is where the white student would sit during their school breaks, and would not allow any students of color to sit under it. They also would hang nooses on the tree. After doing research I found that the message was clear “Those nooses meant the KKK, they meant ‘Niggers, we’re going to kill you, we’re going to hang you till you die.’” A few days later after the nooses incident, a couple of black students bravely held a protest under the tree. Immediately after the protest the school had an assembly which was held by The La Salle Parish district attorney who threaten all of the black students during the assembly by holding up a pen and saying “I can end your lives by a stroke on a pen.” I feel that the comment he made was very inappropriate, and he should be penalized for it. The battery charge against Mychal was upped because of the dangerous weapon they said he had; which was the shoes on his feet. The judge put a order out banning mychal’s parents from entering in the court room and speaking to the media. The case as a whole is ridiculous to me . I just can’t understand why every in America just can’t get alone with each other. I feel that this situation is unfair and is being dealt in the wrong matter.