Matt - Syracuse, New York
Themes: family, gratitude

Sorry to say this but the “Real World” is definitely not the same as that mundane, predictable show on MTV. In fact, I’m not even sure what the real world is and I still have until May 11, 2008 to figure it out. And I’m not naïve enough to think that on May 12th I will have a sudden realization of everything the real world entails. I feel that I have grown in many ways from countless experiences over the years, but I cannot say that I am living in a truly “real world.” I do not know exactly what this world is, but I do know that it is quickly approaching and I need to start preparing. I understand that I must be serious in my goals and maintain motivation to achieve success. My support systems, comprised primarily of my parents, family, and friends have stood by me for years and I owe them for their inspiration. There is no doubt that I believe in my family. They are the backbone to my existence and I am forever indebted for all they have given me. They have shaped me, supported me, and stood by me. I believe in them.

Family has always been an important component of my life and one that I cherish. Believing in my family is a constant, static element of my life, which is why I can say I believe in other aspects as well. I can proudly say that I support the notion of having fun, having an enjoyable experience, and exhibiting an overall excitement towards life. I have taken these aspects into account over the past year, primarily because of the experiences I have acquired. Never will I compromise what is important to me for the sake of a good time, meaning my family, my goals, and my ambitions. But at this stage in my life, on the brink of real adulthood, I want to soak it all in with people who truly matter to me. Whether it is simply sitting in a class, excited about what is taught or drinking a beer in a backyard with some of my best friends, I am truly happy and feeling a sense of fun.

I am reminded of standing in the middle of Trafalgar Square, one of the busiest intersections in London, and surrounded by people of different ethnic origins, faiths, and nationalities, feeling amazed at what I was a part of. To me, this was having more fun than I could possibly imagine. I hold this in such high esteem because of the profound impact it has on me and a realization that it is perfectly normal to have fun, sit back, relax and simply enjoy life. With college and this stage of life coming to a distant end, I know more fun lies ahead, but for now, I am choosing to live in the moment and breathe in the air around me. This is real. And this is what I believe.