Natalie - Bowling Green, Ohio

I remember walking down the sidewalk at night when I was in Florida, and seeing this middle-aged women just lying on a bench, with no blanket, no shoes, and most important no home. Homelessness is not something that I have experienced, but when I experienced the vision of this woman laying there my heart froze. I remember thinking to myself that that wasn’t fair, and even if life isn’t fair, everyone deserves a good home. I know I have seen many people without a safe place to live all across the news, but actually seeing someone lying there with such gloom really hit me hard. It was almost as if I was dreaming and someone pinched me, and I had woken up to the real world. Some things in life I wish I could just look at blind, so I wouldn’t have to see all the bad, but I guess in this game called life you can’t always get what you want.

All people should have a good home, a place where they feel safe and loved. If life had a checklist with certain requirements that were mandatory, I believe having a good home would fall into that category. Something just as simple as a healthy loving home and family can change a person’s life for the better. I must say there are times when I want to consider myself and others to be selfish, selfish not as mean and hateful but selfish as taking my luxuries for granted. Selfishness presides when I open my closet, look at my clothes and say “I have nothing to wear,” or when my mom would cook a meal and I would complain and say “I don’t like that; I’m not going to eat that for dinner”. To me, that is what I call selfish. I should be thankful that I have clothes to wear, and food on the table to eat, while others less fortunate do not have a good home, much less clothes to wear, and little food to eat. A good home also requires feeling safe and loved. I remember when I was little, the only time I felt unsafe was when I thought the boogie man was hiding under my bed, and then my parents would ensure me that there is no such thing. I wish that the boogie man could be everyone’s biggest fear at home, but some people deal with more pain than just the fear of a made-up creature.

Not having a good stable household can lead to a lot of crucial problems such as abuse, starvation, homelessness, and even death. I believe no one should have to be put in a situation that has those outcomes. It’s hard to say much because I have never been in a situation where I didn’t have any where to sleep, or any food to eat, and I’ve always had someone there to tell me they love me. I’m not going to lie it is the little things that matter the most, such as when I would come home from school and my mom would say something as simple as “How was your day?”, knowing that I have a good home to go to and people that care is probably the best feeling out there.

I believe that everyone should have a good home, and if there was such a thing as a “magic genie”, that would be my first wish. I guess you can say my hopes might be a little too high, but that’s only because I really enjoy my family, and home I grew up in. Life can be amazing, challenging, horrible, or somewhere in between. I wish that people wouldn’t experience life as “horrible” but it happens, and is something I don’t agree with, which is why having a good home is my belief.