Laurel - bowling green, Ohio

This I Believe…

Every person has many different beliefs and views that range from many different issues. They can result from morals, values, and just what you think is right or wrong. I have many different beliefs, and I would like to share just one of them with you.

I believe that the violence that goes on in schools needs to be stopped. Mainly, I believe that an end needs to be put to the threats that occur. When threats are made, they need to be taken seriously, and not ignored. These threats such as bombs, fighting, and shootings have gone on long enough. The effect of violence is starting to take a toll on the students and their education. We need to stop the madness in the education system so that students can focus on their studies rather than the safety of their being. These threats are putting a burden on not only the students, but also the faculty in schools all over the world.

The reason I believe that threats in schools are such a big issue, is because I have experienced them first hand. During my senior year, the 2006-2007 school year, my school underwent a series of three or four bomb threats. After the third bomb threat, our school was closed down. When the faculty thought it was safe for us students to return, we were allowed to come back to school. There were many safety measures that we had to go through. First of all, we were under lock down. No one could enter or leave a room without an escort. Second, upon entering the school, our purses, book bags, and gym bags were searched. There were metal detectors, and police surrounding the building.

The bomb threats really put a burden on us students. And not only the students, but also on the faculty. Even though the police said it was safe for us to return, we were still really afraid. No one knew who had made these threats, and we all knew they were probably at school with us. We didn’t know if or when it was going to happen., and it was really hard to focus on school work, with this in the back of our mind.

Violence in schools needs to be stopped. I believe that threats in schools need to be taken very seriously. There needs to be more security in schools, and stronger measures taken when threats do arise. As you can tell, with a first hand experience of going through a threat at school, it did take a toll. Fortunately, my school was lucky enough to not have anyone injured or killed. But in the case of Virginia Tech, some students weren’t so lucky. There were threats prior to the shooting, and they weren’t taken seriously. Maybe if they had not been ignored, the shooting wouldn’t have occurred. School violence is not something to take lightly, and I believe it needs to be stopped.