Angela - bowling green, Ohio

This I believe

Thinking back to my high school years, I thought how selfish we were, we only cared about ourselves and how to fit in. I loved high school, but at the same time I hated seeing everything that was going on right in front of my eyes, the teasing, bullying, and people sitting all alone at the lunch table. I wanted this to stop. I tried to make everyone feel like they belonged but there was just too many people being hurt. High school should be a place where you have a good time meeting people and learning but for some of the kids they were left thinking what a horrible place high school was. Everyone should be accepted for who they are we are all individuals and should be treated with respect.

I believe that many people realize who they are in high school. They see that they are different from the other people surrounding them. I came from a fairly large high school and I have been through it all. Although I “fit” into my high school’s image, as sad as that is, it’s true my school had one. I was accepted for who I was, but there are people who are different than me and just because our school set an image those individuals didn’t “fit in” and they were not accepted. These were the kids in school who dreaded coming every day in fear that they would be pushed around or alone with no one at all. It’s sad to see how someone can push another student around and not feel one bit of remorse. If we could just accept people for who they are I feel that maybe just maybe the teasing, the bullying and the being alone would stop.

In today’s schools the teasing, bullying and kids being alone is a big problem. We may not be able to see it all but we know it happens. Whenever I would see someone tease or even just do it a little bit I will say something to that person. I don’t want anyone to be hurt just because one person doesn’t have any respect for others. The students feel that they have to care about how they act, look, and what they wear. They will start to lose their self image trying to be someone their not. It’s sad because not everyone is able to be themselves because when people don’t “fit in” they seem to be picked on or teased a lot, causing those little jokes to become serious. Some students start to hurt themselves, drugs get involved, cutting and even suicide can occur. I always respected those individuals who stayed who they are because I always think of what the world would be if we were all the same, and that would be very boring so we need to stop judging people and accept them for who they are not who you want them to be.

I will do so much to help stop kids from being teased, bullied, and being alone. I feel that every student has a right to be themselves and should not get teased about it. I know it may sound hard to do for some people but if you could just accept the people for who they are there would be no need for pushing people around. High school would be a better place and no one will ever have to dread going to school because they are sad or scared. Even though that may sound to perfect to be true, we could make it happen.