Jeremiah - Bowling Green, Ohio

I believe in the power and influence of sports in our lives. I believe sports can teach us many of life’s lessons and entertain us in the process. Sports can teach us values and lessons that will benefit us in all aspects of life. Some days in sports I would do good and others bad, but I always leave knowing there is always a tomorrow to play again.

Since as long as I can remember I have watched and played sports. Whether it was for a school, summer league, or just in my back yard, sports have provided me with entertainment, life lessons, and an escape from the rest of the world. If I was feeling down, I could play or watch sports to cheer me up; on the other hand it could put me in even a worse mood, if I preformed bad or my favorite team lost.

People always say sports are just like life, and I believe that is especially true for baseball. Baseball like life is a team game; if you do not work with people in life you will be alone and fail. In baseball if you’re the pitcher and you just try to strike out everyone or hit a home run every time, instead of using your defense or getting on base for the hitters behind you, you are more than likely going to fail quite often.

Just like in life, in baseball everyone goes into slumps. The best hitter ever could go into a twenty at bat hitless streak, and the reining CY Young winner could loose five games in a row. But just like in life, tomorrow’s game could change everything; you could hit three home runs, or pitch and perfect game. In life and in baseball you just have to keep working through the hard times, and if you work hard enough you will succeed.

I think as soon as I was old enough to hold a bat I loved baseball and wanted to play. As a kid I was undersized and not much of an athlete so I didn’t see much of any playing field. Sitting the bench was not very fun and I grew tired of watching everyone else play and have a good time. So I quit the game I loved so much, but I was not quitting forever, I just could not embarrass myself anymore, I wanted to show everyone I could play.

You don’t think of most moms as big sports fans or players, you always see the dad and boy playing catch. That was not so in my family, see my dad seemed to work 24/7 and my mom must have been a tomboy when she was young because she could throw a ball and make a jump shot. Ever since I was little my mom and me played catch about every day in the summer. Since when I was on a team I just sat the bench, I lacked much of the basic fundamentals. so I would play about every day with my mom, teaching myself to play the game, making up my own workouts, how to pitch, and how to swing the bat. This really taught me about work ethic, and really going after something that I wanted.

By time I was in high school I had watched the game and practiced the game so much that I had to play completive baseball. So I tried out for the team and as a freshman made the junior varsity team. Then in the summer I played Pony League ball with the same kids I used to play with, but this time I was good. I played center field, second base, catcher, and my favorite position pitcher.

In every sport I have played the team always getting the speech about how sports are just like life, and how you train and conduct yourself with transfer to real life. I completely agree with this, I have learned so many lessons from playing and watching sports. A lot of times I have been in a clutch position and lost the game or match, but there is always tomorrows game, just like if you have had a bad day, there is always tomorrow where you can turn things around.

I believe in being part of a community or a team, working hard at whatever I do, and fully committing myself to anything I have started. Sports have taught me all of these things, to be successful in life and in sports you have to be a team player, have an excellent work ethic, and be willing to commit yourself. Sports taught me that you can do whatever it is that you want to do. You’re never to small or weak, because as long as you have those values you can succeed.