Holly - Bowling Green, Ohio

My mom got married at a young age and had children at a young age. I am the middle child and I will give her credit on raising my siblings and I. I am adopted; my step-father adopted myself and my siblings about eight years ago. When I was that young I did not understand everything that was going on, as I got older I come to realize that my life is much better now then it ever was. Parents should do anything in their power to make their children’s life better. I know my mom is not a super hero but to me, she is a pretty amazing person and is also someone I can look up to.

Parents do not always take the responsibility for their children for different reasons, all to which are not acceptable. A child may be blessed with the greatest parents, but then there are unfortunate children who get irresponsible parents. Irresponsibility is one of the major factors that come into play with numerous young mothers. Not all young mothers are irresponsible, my mother is a perfect example and she took care of her children and still is. Although, there are young mothers did not plan on having children, which then results in the innocent child suffering. I feel that if a young parent is going to put themselves in that situation then they need to take responsibility for their actions no matter how difficult it may be. Some parents feel that they can handle the situation and when they try to it results in the child suffering anyway. Numerous children who were not expected will suffer from a life of their parents abusing substances and not making a living for themselves or the children. If someone is going to be an unexpected parent then that person should do what it takes to provide for their children.

Part of being a parent is sitting your children down and talking to them about the outcomes of drinking and driving. If the parents are being responsible by talking to the children then in return the children will be responsible as well. One thing to always remember is that a young adult will drink and drive regardless of what their parents or anyone else may tell them. However, young adults need to be taught at a young age that drinking and driving is not a safe thing to do. By doing this it may help them realize the severity and will help them make better decisions in the future. They should realize that if you drink and drive then you are taking the risk of either killing yourself and or someone else. Numerous young adults drink and drive and do not think much about it until someone gets seriously hurt. Then as being the responsible parent that all young adults need, will have to hold their child responsible for ignoring the seriousness of drinking and driving. No young adult wants to realize the severity until someone in the end is either dead or seriously hurt.

Not only should parents provide for their children but school systems should work to get students the best education possible. Not all schools budget the way they should. Some schools feel that sports are more important then a student’s education. By schools acting upon this they are not doing what is best for the students. A child’s education also should not depend on their parents’ income. If a child has parents who do not work a high paying job the child should not have to suffer. No child can control the job that their parents have and they deserve the best education possible.

Looking back on my life so far I have come to realize that not all parents are perfect however there are ones that try. Any parent that will try to help their children in any way they can is not perfect but they are awesome people. Not everyone can be blessed with parents that will work to make their children’s’ life the best they can. Being a parent is hard work and no matter what you do you will make mistakes along the way. If you learn from the mistakes that you make, then you are taking another step into becoming a better parent. A parent steps never run out and neither should the parent. If a child sees that a parent it giving up then the child will give up as well.