Jasmine - Bowling Green, Ohio

Constant Support

One of today’s biggest conflicts is the war against terrorism. American soldiers are fighting in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Most Americans have mixed feelings about the war and wonder why we are still fighting. To many it may seem like a lost cause, to others, the right thing to do. Yet, our society is missing the bigger picture. No matter how a citizen may feel about the war, we need to support our troops. The majority of the troops overseas do not want to be there; of course they would rather be here in the United States with their families. They are facing extreme heat, homesickness, boredom, sand, and are living in constant fear. The soldiers face the loss of life, limbs, or permanent injury from combat. Take a minute and try to put yourself in a soldier’s shoes. Fighting on the front lines of a constant battle would be hard enough, but it would seem nearly impossible when a significant amount of the American people do not seem to support the troops. I believe we should find ways to show the troops our support regardless of our position on the war.

Several reasons people enlist are: some feel it is ‘the family business’ and are living out a legacy, others feel it is their duty as a citizen to protect our country’s freedom and many so they afford to go to college and earn an education. Without our soldiers we would be incredibly vulnerable to attacks; we could lose our freedom. Our troops defend and fight for our rights that we often take for granted. If we do not back up and support our troops we may lose these rights one day.

I believe that by supporting our troops that means we bring them home. Another alternate approach, which President Bush has not supported, is doubling or tripling the number of troops we have in Iraq. It still may not change the outcome of the war, but our chances of winning and helping the Iraqi people greatly increase. This war has been raging on for seven years. There is hardly any evidence that the people of Iraq totally support the U.S. being there. The Sunni and Shiite extremists have been fighting for over one hundred years. The hatred runs deep in Iraq between the different cultures.

While I personally do not believe in the war, I show my support for our troops in many ways. Not only do I pray for our Armed Services daily but also their families and loved ones. They need support and love, too. I have sent over many care packages to different soldiers, some close friends and others strangers. These care packages included snacks, pictures, Bible Verses, and letters telling the soldiers how grateful I am for what they do every day. I tell each soldier that I love and support them and they will never be forgotten. The opportunities are endless to help our soldiers here and overseas. As Americans we have always had a diversity of opinions and differences over policies and controversies, and this war is no different. We can all take actions to show that we support and appreciate the troops that serve our nation.