Iain - Princeton, New Jersey

I believe to be successful at anything requires a large amount of commitment. Commitment is in every aspect of everyone’s life. Between friends and family, a relationship can only be formed if there is a basis of mutual commitment. Even in a person’s day-to-day life, whether in athletics, academics, or social behavior, commitment is require to be a part of anything.

In my life, with the exception of obvious commitments to the people around me, I feel I have committed the most time and energy to rowing. I have been rowing for the past 7 years. I joined the Syracuse University rowing team in the fall of 2006. Last year SU Men’s Crew had the most successful season of any SU sports team. I had a great experience on the first freshman boat for all in season competitions.

One race that I will always remember, however, was our last duel race of the season. It was against Dartmouth, who had one of their best freshman crews in years. It was cold, windy and raining. And 3 minuets into the race we were down by about 10 feet.

The essential part about rowing is the commitment and trust every in the boat needs to have for each other. When there are only 8 people moving a boat; 4 oars on each side, and someone decides not to just not pull, but not kill themselves, the boat just does not move. With 4 minuets into the race, we down by 5 feet, and by the fifth minuet, we were up by at least 20 feet.

I have never felt in my life more physically worse, yet more emotionally good. As we crossed the line, I remember not having enough energy to put my hands in the air. Both in front and behind me, the people I had committed to, and who had committed to me were throwing up and crying. I believe by any definition, that that moment was success.