Treasure - New Orleans, Louisiana
Themes: place

Growing up, having stability in life was very important to me. I’ve had the same best friend since I was four years-old; I went to one elementary school, one middle school, and two high schools. But the most stable area in my life was my home. I’ve lived in the same city, on the same street, in the same house, all my life, so even if everything else in my life was in disarray, I could always count on my home being the same.

In August 2005, the city of New Orleans was issued a hurricane warning. Nobody really paid any mind to it, because it was hurricane season, our everyday lives consisted of voluntary evacuations and threats of a hurricane that would wash the city away. Just that previous month there was a hurricane that was supposed to “wipe the city out,” and after all the panic, it didn’t even rain, so this time, I and half the city, felt as though we had nothing to worry about. Then there was a mandatory evacuation issued to the city, I had never evacuated before, but this time I had to. So when I evacuated here, to Hammond, it almost seemed like a vacation, until the next night. I sat down with my family and watched the news; I watch how my entire city, the only place that I had ever known, was being destroyed by some thing that I didn’t even take seriously. Then I had to move to Texas, because my home, my haven, was destroyed, and I knew that my life would never be the same. Although I was upset about the destruction that had been done to my beautiful city, I was most devastated about the destruction of stability to my life.

No matter where i go, or what I become, my home will always be accepting. There I have nothing to prove and no one to please, I will always be welcome there, and simply I belong.

Looking back on all the memories of home, there are many things that stand out and other things that I’ll probably never remember, but there is one thing that will be with me forever, and that’s the impact that my home, flaws and all, has had on my life, and the person that I am today.

I believe that no matter where you go, or how many places you have a house, once you’ve found a place that you can call home, you’ll never find another place like it.