Erin - Glendale, Arizona

When I turn on the television, I see the same thing on every channel and it makes me gag. First is the classic blonde girl who is a little too clueless and always has some kind of drama. Then there’s the girl who didn’t get the right color Mustang she wanted for her birthday, and the girl who spends hundreds of dollars every week shopping for what will be “in” next week. I think to myself, “This is just pathetic.” Then I realize that this is what real life is like for some girls. Some girls need to have the drama, clothes, car and gorgeous boyfriend to feel accepted. I believe that in order for some girls to have high self-esteem, they feel like they have to look and behave a certain way.

As I walk through my high school, it’s like watching television. I see the group of girls with fake blonde hair, oversized sunglasses, long necklaces and purses so big you could fit a German Shepard in them. They all wear the same brands because that logo is the ticket to the group they are in. I can tell when the store just got a new shipment in because Monday morning at least six girls are wearing the same t-shirt. I realize that these girls dress this way, in these brands, because they place their need for acceptance under the brand name. It’s just a plain t-shirt, yet somehow that logo transforms it from just a shirt to a symbol of popularity.

Another similarity I recognize throughout this group is hair that’s so blonde I’m practically blind when I stand too close. I think to myself, “How did everyone know to dye their hair so blonde?” Then I realize that some celebrity must have done it first, then the most popular girl in school did it to be just like her. Shortly after, the entire “in crowd” have heads as bright as the sun. These girls spend so much time in the ovens they call “salons” that I get confused. Is she white? Is she black? I just can’t tell! It’s disgusting that self-confidence in teenage girls is no longer found within, it’s gained by having the brightest hair and the tan that screams, “Skin cancer, here I come!”

And finally, when I actually have to listen to these girls struggle to string a simple sentence together, it consists of “like” after every other word. All they can talk about is this weekend’s parties, when they are getting their nails done, or how they dropped their Sidekick III and Daddy wont buy them a new one. Their definition of what looks good or what is cool is determined by nothing more than what they see on television, in magazines or in their favorite stores. I realize how lucky I am to have avoided the trap these girls fell into. I find my own style, I don’t need a ditzy blonde on TV to tell me what to wear.