Karyn - Peroria, Arizona

I believe that gossip has seeped into our generation and has begun to run our schools, homes, and even lives. High school is the number one place for gossip, and it affects anyone and everyone involved. And when gossip struck me, it was like someone had just sunk my battleship.

I am now a senior in high school, and have certainly heard (and partaken) in my fair share of gossip. But nothing prepared me for the sudden dismal blow of gossip and rumors slandering my own personal name. It was two years ago, and the end of my sophomore year. It had been a good year, and I had made a lot of new friends. One of them happened to be my current crush. Anyways, I had finally worked up the courage to tell him how I felt. In the most subtle way possible, I did what any sensible high school girl would do-I sent him balloons on Valentine’s Day, anonymously of course. Well, due mitigating circumstances, and to keep this short, he found out who I was and was very interested. We began our one in a half month fling with text conversations and late night phone calls, but no dates. I think we only hung out once and only did so much as hug and a small kiss on the cheek goodnight. When things ended abruptly between us, I was very shocked. But the biggest shock of all didn’t come until Monday, after my second hour.

I normally saw him after that class, so I began to quickly walk past his group of friends. One turned and shouted something so vulgar at me, I can’t even repeat it. One thing I can repeat is that it had to do with something sexual and it was not pretty. I stood there dumbfounded, not knowing what to do. Number one, I had no idea what he was talking about because he and I had never done anything like that, and number two, I couldn’t believe he was shouting it out for the entire building to hear. Stunned gazes turned my way. I did everything I could not to cry, but it was too late. Tears were already streaming down my face as I ran to my next class. I couldn’t wait until I could go home that day.

The following day was horrible. Everyone was whispering about how he and I had “done it”. That was something I did not want being said, especially when it wasn’t true. Having gossip venture into my life was not exactly a welcomed gift. Who wants to be talked about behind their back? The most frustrating part was that his friends hailed him as a god because he had been able to get with the quintessential “good girl”. You know, the one whose skirt was always a little too long and thought crap was a bad word. It was like I was a prize to be won, and he being able to have sex with me was so intriguing to them, so he had definitely hit the jackpot. Unfortunately, I had the dirty deed of fighting off the rumors, and it took about two weeks for people to know it wasn’t true.

Though my experience was a little more dramatic than others, it’s still what happens in high school when the lethal weapon of gossip is used. It can destroy someone’s reputation and even there life. As ashamed to be associated with it as I am, I’m just as guilty as the next person. I guess its just the vicious circle of gossip, it just keeps going around and around, taking as many people with it as it can.