Even Mr. Grinch Turned Out Nice

Cassy - Glendale, Arizona
Themes: good & evil

I’m sure you know the story How the Grinch Stole Christmas. How many Mr. Grinchs do you personally know? Everyday I encounter “mean” people; people I dread to be around or am even afraid of. When I first met my Mr. Grinch, my world history teacher, I didn’t take the time to get to know him. I simply formed a negative opinion because I didn’t like how strict he was, how much homework he assigned, and how hard he graded me. To me, he didn’t care if I had obligations after school or if it was the weekend. It seemed like he wanted me to spend all my time doing things for his class, which is exactly what I ended up doing. Every single night, Mr. Grinch assigned homework that took forever to complete. The assignments weren’t ever interesting either; it was usually reading from our textbook and answering the problems at the end of each chapter. Can you say boring? Then there were his tests. I would study like a mad man, but it never was enough. I got C’s on all the exams, giving me a C overall for the class. Before his class, I never got Cs. I was the A and B student, at times, an over achiever.

I spent most of my time studying, doing homework, or tending to after school obligations. With the little free time I had, I decided to join interact; a volunteer program at my school. Little did I know that Mr. Grinch was in charge of the club. I went from seeing him ever Monday through Friday to every Monday through Saturday. For the first couple of days, I thought he was going to be the same way as he was in class: evil. Everyone kept telling me that he wasn’t mean at all; I couldn’t see how they thought that. One day, we had to take some fences down and I was stuck working with Mr. Grinch. We started talking about everything from sports to our families and I quickly figured out that everyone was right – he really wasn’t mean. He was actually pretty funny, in a corny kind of way, and someone I could talk to. Not only did he teach me all about history, he taught me about life in general. Because of my Mr. Grinch, I believe that everyone has a good side, whether it is a side you can go to about personal issues or a side that is extremely fun; sometimes it’s just hard to see.