Chelsea - Bowling Green, Ohio

This I Believe…

I remember coming home one day to my mother telling me that my uncle had passed away. And just a week later I had lost my other uncle whom I had been very close to. I lost both of my uncles to a drug addiction that they couldn’t seem to let go of. These addictions had kept both of them in and out of the hospital. Their addiction to these drugs consumed their daily lives, making their choices for them. When to eat, when to sleep, and how many times they were going to have another fix. Both of my uncles knew that these drugs had taken a toll on their body for the worse, and they didn’t know when their time was coming, but they knew it was coming soon. The damage that was done to their bodies and minds was irreversible. My uncles were not the only people in my family that have these addictions, but they’re the ones who didn’t know when to stop. When someone only has one life to live, and a body that they can’t swap for another, you think some one would treat it better.

I believe that having an alcohol or drug addiction goes further than just the addiction itself. It’s like a virus that spreads through the body, but instead of getting sick, they get a sensation of euphoria. A sensation that makes them feel that this addiction that’s actually a curse, is a blessing, a way for people to escape into their own little world and make their problems just melt away. People who are not strong enough to deal with their pain find comfort in drugs, it seems as though their pain makes them more susceptible to the drugs. I feel that these drugs take over a person’s mind and make decisions that are not necessarily what they want or feel. The drugs alter their conscious telling them that what they otherwise thought was wrong, is right. These addictions are more than just drugs, they’re an illness, an illness not like the flu that just passes with time, and it is like a bug that they can’t shake. Not until they figure out the home remedy that serves as their cure. And that could be their family, friends, or something else that serves as their cure and helps them to become the person that they want to be. Something that tells them that they’re hurting themselves, and their loved ones, the cure that makes them understand that what they are doing is wrong.

And I believe that a person only has one body, and one life to live, so use it wisely. A person can’t ruin the first one and trade it in for another, that’s not how it works. And even though the drugs that goes into that body makes them feel like its ok and feel good, they don’t even know what happening to their body. Their body starts to shut down, and fall to pieces, just like the life they once had. These people throw away their family and friends because they would rather harm their body with these drugs, than spend time with their little sister. I believe that most of the addicts in this world don’t exactly realize the damaging effects until it’s too late.

I believe that my life has been full of family, but with most family came their drugs, and with their drugs came arguments, awkward moments, and then them storming out the door in defense of their precious drugs. And also, I believe that I have finally learned to forgive these family members who have used their drugs and mistreated me. I know now that the way they were reacting was because of the drugs. Drugs make people be somebody they don’t want to be, they make their bodies and minds shut off all the good in their life, so they feel nothing but pain, anger, and emptiness. Because when people tend to feel like that, they turn to their addiction, it comforts them, it takes away that pain, and it also feeds on them.

Last but not least, I truly believe that because of the experiences with drugs in my family, I will never resort to them. Growing up knowing that some of my family members’ have addictions has made me gain more knowledge and more understanding as to what they do to their body and their mind as well. And that knowledge I have gained has made me smart enough to never take that path, to never harm my body or life. While I may sit around and eat chips and drink pop, the damage is not irreversible, and I know that my body is precious, along with my life. I believe that my strong will had to come from my family member’s mistakes. Without their mistakes, I wouldn’t have witnessed first hand what drugs can do to a person, and their body, so I would have never gained the knowledge I did about addictions. I never thought that I could related an addiction to a virus that eats at them in every way, instead, I would never have gained the understanding, which in return means I would have never knew how to forgive these family members that chose drugs over me.