Matthew - Twinsburg, Ohio

Music with a Greater Purpose

I believe that people who listen to music with positive lyrics go on to live better lives. Music has a special way of connecting itself to humans. The lyrics we listen to often reflect our own actions. In some ways, song lyrics control the way society behaves and if we all listened to songs that have something good to say, our world might be a better place.

When I was growing up, my dad would always play country music in the car. So naturally, I grew to like it. However, when I was a little older, a new type of music was becoming popular. It is known as “Christian Rock”. I was unaware of it until my Mom bought a CD from a band called DC Talk. DC Talk is known for pioneering Christian Rock.

The first time I herd DC Talk, I immediately liked them. From then on I began to like rock music more than the country music I had grown up on. It was not until I matured more that I began to realize what the songs were really saying. I have been raised as a Christian and I was now starting to make a connection between church and the music.

In my teenage years, I have turned to Christian Rock, not only because the lyrics are positive, but also because I think that no other genre can top it musically. I have tried listening to regular rock bands, but most of the lyrics of those songs, I felt, just wanted to bring me down. I needed a purpose in my music.

Christian Rock can be for anyone. I think non-Christians would be surprised to here that some members of Christian Rock bands were not Christians their entire life. Day of Fire’s lead singer was formally in the band Full Devil Jacket (death metal). He began singing Christian Rock following a heroine overdose.

Christian Rock is very subtle. You have to dig deep into the lyrics to find the meaning. Audio Adrenalin writes, in a song that is about an economy car, “I was the son of a preacher, and he was a rich poor man”. This song called “Chevette”, never mentions God or Jesus, but if you listen closely you can understand the point they want to make which is, “you may not have much in terms of money, but you can feel rich if you have God in your life”. This would eliminate greed, which has been the cause of many wars.

If people in our world lived their lives according to the messages provided in songs like this, our world would be better. Christian Rock songs never talk about violence or drugs or sex. If you eliminate things like these from the music we listen to, they may start to disappear from our everyday lives. This I believe will help people to become better human beings.