Abigail - Akron, Ohio

Helping Children Succeed in School

My mother works for the Akron Public School District and is a tutor for first grade students. Her working in the elementary school has helped me to get involved as well. I have spent many hours working with students who just aren’t grasping the concepts in class. I worked as a Summer School Teacher Aid the past two summers. I worked with a third grader that didn’t completely know his ABC’s and had some how just learned to spell his name. I believe that no child should be left behind. When they begin to struggle they should be given intervention immediately. In today’s society, there are too many children going home from school with unanswered questions. School districts deal with such a diverse group of families, and children of all different abilities.

I believe that every student should receive equal treatment and be awarded help whenever it is needed. I understand that there are teachers for the kids with “special needs,” but even the students who are not diagnosed as special education should be offered help as well. Every school should provide morning, lunch, and after school tutoring. Teachers should make struggling learners a priority. While working with the Summer School Program, I noticed that many of the students couldn’t remember skills they had worked on during the school year. If a student desires extra help and tutoring has not enhanced their reading or writing skills significantly, then summer school should be offered to them free of charge. Summer School Programs can enhanced a child’s learning and possibly give them a head start into their next year of school; therefore they may not fall behind again. As I worked with countless numbers of students over the summer, it was brought to my attention that several of them just needed simple basic skills that were rushed through in their previous classes.

On the other side of the spectrum, I also believe that all children should be placed where they belong. Gifted children should be offered enrichment activities to develop their thinking and reasoning skills. Challenging activities will keep them interested in school. There are numerous resources available for children who achieve above the average student. Teachers should be required to use these resources so these bright students continue to be challenged in school.

No child should be left behind either way you look at it. Teachers should be able to work with the individuals and fulfill each ones needs. Whether the student needs more work, or more support, it should be granted to them. With the proper attention, any student can succeed. There are several different options for helping young students achieve their goals. I believe that with a little extra attention, tutoring sessions, and compromise, each student’s grades and wisdom will increase dramatically. No matter how much extra assisting they may need, they should be granted it to succeed, and this I believe.