Elizabeth - Bowling Green, Ohio

I believe everyone needs a positive role model in their life.

As I approached my teenage years, I went through the usual phases that every teenager goes through. One phase that sticks out in particular is when I thought that I was “too cool” to follow my parent’s rules. I turned into a teenager that did things just to prove that I didn’t have to listen to anyone. I got into things that any adult, not just my parents, would find unacceptable. I lied to my parents continuously until one day I came to realize exactly what I was doing.

One night I was planning on going to a party with my friends and I had told my parents that we were just having a girl’s night. As I was getting ready, my mom walked into my room and said that I was grounded and no longer allowed to leave the house. Reacting as any teenager would, I was furious and acted immature about the entire situation. My mom explained that she had found out through various parents what my actual plans were that night and lectured me about how disrespectful I had become toward her and my father.

Clearly at that time I wouldn’t even consider what my mom was saying, but eventually I came around. The days that followed that lecture made me realize how much having a positive role model in my life helped me to learn life lessons and learn the right way to behave in certain situations. My mom taught me that being honest could have its benefits. Since then my mom and I have grown much closer, and because of the bond we have formed, she is willing to trust me and grant me more freedom as well.

My mom will always be someone I look up to and I believe having her in my life makes me better off as a daughter, a person, and a future parent. My mom has raised five kids. Overall you could say that she is a professional when it comes to patience and understanding. She shows everyone unconditional love and never hesitates to give anyone a chance. My mom influenced my interactions with people and changed my morals about honesty and responsibility. I now know that when I become a parent, or even with my spot as a big sister, I will make valuable morals clear to those who look at me as a positive role model.

Role models contribute to ones life by giving them something to aspire to and by giving that person an

example of what they should try to become as they go through the events in their own life. Positive role models provide people with a goal for who they want to become in their lifetime. I believe that everyone needs a positive role model to teach them about right and wrong, to teach them how to be a good person, and to teach them how to live a good life.