Steven - Bowling Green, Ohio

Rights to an Education

I believe that everyone has the right to an education, no matter their race or the current financial status of their family. Also the quality of the school environment needs to be up to date to benefit the child’s education more effectively. So many things cross the students mind and s/he begins to doubt whether they should try for an education or just forget about it and take a middle class job at some fast food restaurant or grocery store, not saying these are bad choices just that there are better bigger things you can be. This world revolves around money; even money can determine the quality or amount of education you can receive. Everyone can obtain an education if they devise a plan and just stick to it, when it begins to get rough just stick to it and brave it out, because in the end you will find it was worth all the money and effort.

A common issue concerning many students of diverse racial, religious or cultural backgrounds is that they feel they are being deprived of an education just because they are different. Many feel they are discriminated against when attempting to receive an education, be it from grammar school or college based learning level. Some even feel because of these differences that they are unworthy of an education or cannot afford it. Several financial aid programs are designed to give special grants to students of diverse backgrounds, some even are given a full ride to any school they wish because of the treatment of their ancestors. So, with all this free money flying around for them, there is no reason why they should be saying they cannot afford or cannot obtain an education because of where they feel they stand in the world.

As previously stated, students money seems to be a thriving issue as to why students feel they cannot receive an education. For some it might be financial problems at home which often results in the high drop out rates around the nation. Many students do not wish to place their families in such a deep debt or even bankrupt them just to attend school, so they decide to just push aside their education and get a low level job at McDonalds for example just so their families do not have to suffer. Parents and students lack to realize that even with their financial status their student can still attend, since certain loans and their payments are based upon your yearly income rate. Many financial aid institutes will cooperate with you and compromise on a good and easy plan for you to pay for the loan. If all else fails the military is a good opportunity to obtain money for school and a free method as well.

The quality of the present day school environments seems to be rapidly dropping and no one seems to want to waste money or pay taxes to have the buildings brought up to code and date. A poor quality learning environment has a negative effect on the student and his attitude towards learning. Education is very important to myself, and to aid my progression in society, so every time a bill comes up to fund school repairs or to add new things to enhance the school environment I go out and vote to approve of these. Also, before I go to vote I speak to every one of my friends or people I just generally know in the town and ask them to vote in agreement with me on this topic. The classes taught at the school are not as exciting as the student expected out of it, so many lose interests because they just cannot focus on the material. An unenthused teacher who just walks in lectures and brambles on, not describing the material so the student can understand what s/he is saying, will negatively affect the pupils desire to learn. Many teachers are just uncaring of whether the student receives a good education, most just walk in and want to get the class over with so they can go back to doing what ever they were prior to class.

So many students day by day go on wondering if they should continue their education or should they drop out of school, be it high school or college. Take the time to mull things over and you will see that there are many ways you can receive money for your school funding. Be active in your community to persuade the voters to approve of the upgrade of your schools learning environment, without the proper materials there really is no point for you to waste your money learning nothing, but how to sit down and listen to someone drone on day by day. Your race, religion, or whatever your background may be should have no effect or hinder you in anyway of achieving the education you wish to have. Every person no matter what they are, who they are, or where they came from, has the right and freedom to an education.