Jacob - Olmsted Falls, Ohio

A Growing Problem

I believe one main problem in the world today concerns people’s attitude toward the environment as a whole. Many people take for granted the wonderful and varying environments that we live in. I believe many people are hurting the environment due to their ignorance. There are two main problems with our environment, that I see, and they both are closely related. These two topics are; littering and pollution. Although littering can be considered pollution; I believe that it is a crisis all its own.

With the uprising trend of littering, I believe that now is the time to bring this disaster to a screeching halt. Everywhere I go it seems that the ground is covered in trash; it can be seen on the side of the road or in your neighborhood park; it is everywhere. Seeing this disgust me, and I believe more attention should be brought to this problem. I think that harsher laws should be made and enforced on the offenders. I believe that is the least we could do. I also think more people should become aware of the problem, this could be carried out through the education of the harmful effects littering has on our environment. Other things could also be done to help cure this phenomenon, but they may require more resources. One of the most common items that I see being littered and causing a major problem is cigarettes. I think that companies producing these cigarettes should have stricter rules and regulations concerning to the problem of littering.

On a larger scale then littering, is the effect of pollution in general on the environment. I think a majority of pollution can be avoided if we eliminate people’s selfishness. I think this is the reason our air is so polluted, to the point we have a hole in the ozone layer. I believe that very simple things could make a immense impact on the status of our environment. These simple things are obvious and have been mentioned and pursued before, but it is our selfishness that keeps us from following through. These simple things could be as easy as car pooling or discontinuing the excessive use of aerosol cans. I think the same goes for water pollution. All of these types of pollutions have an overall similar effect; they are harming the environment, which includes wildlife. More importantly, they have a negative effect on the people that live in these environments.

I believe the answers to these problems are relatively easy. If we could rid ourselves of our selfish lifestyles, I believe we could stop, if not, reverse the problems we have already created. It would certainly be a shame for people to start caring when it is too late, but unfortunately that is the path we are on. I believe if people knew the harsh truth, they would have a different view of the environment.