Meredith - Bexley, Ohio

Today in life, people like me take way too much for granted without even realizing it. Just to name a few for examples, having clean water to drink, food to eat, or even just having a place to lay my head down at night. For me, education fits right up there with the other three. Growing up, there were mornings I dreaded going school and I realize that was selfish of me, because there are kids out there who never get the opportunity to receive an education and I’m being given one. No Child Left Behind is something I strongly believe in and I think every child deserves the right to receive an education.

Growing up I was blessed to live in an upper class community and received a great education. I feel that no matter what ones background or social status is every child deserves to receive an education. I think they should have programs and organizations to help fund and raise money for less fortunate kids and communities. These kids living in such environments, who don’t have enough money to go to school, need an education just as much as we do. Students should be offered the same quality in teachers no matter where they came from. Teachers should be distributed between the wealthy and the poor areas, so that the students have a benefit from learning from a well educated teacher, as well as the teacher can learn from those students. The same text books should be offered to students from all over, no matter what their zip code. Also, the structures of the buildings could be safer, as well as the security given, so that students will feel safe and excited to be at school. Where one is born, should not affect the quality of their education and be viewed as nothing. I can’t stand to see those commercials and advertisements, when they show the poor little kids walking around who have nothing and they’re trying to raise money for them. It makes me feel so guilty because I’ve been given so much and these kids have nothing. They are no different than anybody else and need to learn how to do well in life and succeed.

In today’s society many kids are lucky enough to get the opportunity to further their education and go onto college. Whether their parents are able to afford tuition, or they were taught how to save money and get a job, most students continue on and get a degree. It’s a very competitive world and everyone’s focused on them, forgetting about all the children who were left behind and never even got to go to grade school. Those children had equal potential as the wealthier students. The NCLB could further the future of many children’s lives by looking at the work that needs to be done. Teachers and students both have opportunities to learn from each other in all sorts of different environments. How would you feel if you were born with a disadvantage and had to live with it for the rest of your life?