Melissa - Syracuse, New York

When I Was in elementary school, I once had an agenda book that asked “What are your goals in life?” My answer was “to have a nice family.” Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to get married and have children. Everytime I have been asked what my goals are or what I want most in life, marriage and family have always been my answer. I don’t really like to let people know how important this is to me because I am afraid they’ll think im stuck in the 1950’s. Like who looks forward to cooking every night and spending the majority of your time with one person for the rest of your life.

There was no particular event that happened that makes me so passionate about marriage and starting a family. It’s just natural. One thing that I think contributes to this was my childhood. I was born and raised in Bronx, NY to a middle class Hispanic family. In the Hispanic culture the women are the backbones of the family. Mothers are the glue that holds the family together, they cook, clean, are strong, and caring, they are everything. My dad was always working and my mom took care of us 4 kids, the household, and had a job. And in that type of “ghetto” environment, you see people struggle…TOGETHER. I always told myself that if my mom can do it, so can I.

I’ve always pictured a fairy tale romance for myself. When I was younger I wanted to marry the first boy I ever kissed. (yea right) As I got older I realized that that was highly unlikely. Marriage is the ultimate bond that you can share with someone. Just the thought of standing before a higher being and knowing that this person wants to spend the rest of their life with ME just makes my heart melt.

There’s not a day that goes by that this is not on my mind. I feel that now living in an apartment I am preparing myself for some of the tasks that I will be given as a wife and mother, such as cooking, cleaning, and maintaining my home all while working and or in school. I also find myself trying to take care of my friends, from helping clean up, to ironing clothes, to being the host at a get together. I think that people can see these motherly qualities in me. I say this because last summer my mother decided that she didn’t want to be tied down to my family anymore, and she left. (That is something that is definitely not in my future motherly list of things to do). But, before I came to school this semester my father asked me, “What am I going to do without you? You are the pillar of this family.” And at that moment I realized that I am on my way to becoming the woman that little Melissa Sanchez has always wanted to be. I believe in family. I believe that I am one of the few who takes marriage seriously these days. And I also believe that I will never know what love is until I have my own children.