Kelsey - BGSU, Ohio

The Inner Artist

I have many passions in life. I love to sing in front of an audience, I love to turn old clothes into new treasures, and I love to create abstract junk into art. When I have finished a solo number in a musical, my heart soars because of the accomplishment I feel. When I am wearing a revamped old shirt-dress that was my aunts in the 80’s, I feel beautiful. When I’m looking out at the innards of a box-spring mattress, I am wondering what kind of wind chime I could make out of it. I believe that discovering something that makes you truly happy is critical in life. Living with a passion makes this one life we have so meaningful. Whether it’s performing, creating, socializing, writing, playing sports, or just something you’ve found you love, do it. It doesn’t have to be beautiful, proportionate, or profound, it just has to be yours.

This world is filled with many terrible things. There is crime, hunger, depression, desperation, and hate. There are people in this world who can actually look their victim in the eye before they kill him. Does the murderer do it just for the thrill? Just for revenge? Just for what? If a murderer had something that made him happy, would he need to kill? Why are there such things as murder that plague the human race? People who haven’t been able find out what it is exactly that gives their lives fervor probably feel like their lives have no meaning. I believe that the crime rate would drop dramatically if everyone found something that made getting up every morning meaningful.

Children should be given opportunities like being able to explore who they actually are and where their talents lie. They should be given the tools to do things such as painting a picture,performing in a talent show, and the like. If every child in America was given the opportunity and the resources to discover their creative sides, would they grow up to be felons? Do people who think their lives are worth living murder innocent human beings? I think that people who have discovered something that they love can channel their energy, anger, and emotions in general to that something and create wonderful happenings.

I suppose you could say that my one true passion is finding beauty in everyday life and using that beauty to make memories. There are so many opportunities for creativity in the world. When you’ve tapped that inner artist, you know it. You can feel the radiance that is only yours in your bones. You know that once you’ve got it, you will never let it go. When there is joy, there is art, there is expression, and there is love. One of my favorite sayings is “Do what you love and love what you do.” I’d like to ask you now, what is it that you love?