DeeAnna - Bowling Green, Ohio
Themes: sports

I believe….

We all have our own personal ideas, customs, and beliefs and we may feel or express our thoughts in different ways, but no matter what we believe or feel, we all have the right to express them. People may not agree with what we say or how we feel, but it is important to us as individuals. As an individual and because of my strong background in sports, I believe women’s sports should be recognized just as much as men’s sports. There are many ways in which they are not acknowledged, however, we should at least take the time to try to make both men’s and women’s sports equal.

While playing women’s sports in high school I often thought that it was not fair for men’s sports to receive more attention. Seeing the way the athletic director and the principal showed more concern for the male athletes and games did not seem like they were holding their positions correctly. As significant people in the school, they should have given the same attention to all sports and not just the ones that they liked. In my senior year, my girl’s varsity basketball team won the Catholic League Championship and finished the season 19-3, and still we did not get the recognition or support that we deserved. The boys, on the other hand, receive more support from everyone while they were losing almost every game. This shows how unfair people are when it comes to men’s and women’s sports.

Majority of the women’s sports are not publicized in the media enough. We have a few that might be on television or the radio every once in a while, but not nearly as much as men. Take ESPN for example, majority of the programs on ESPN talks mostly about men’s sports and the athlete’s influence on society. Very rarely we hear acknowledgement about what is going on with woman’s sports nationwide. Also female athletes do not get as many endorsement contracts as men. There may be a few such as Serena Williams with Proactive, but there are a lot more men such as Lebron James with Sprite, Michael Jordan with Hanes, and Peyton Manning with Gatorade. Women’s sports and athletes should be publicized more so we can become knowledgeable with athletes other than men.

Women’s sports also lack the majority of the country’s enthusiasm and participation. There are fewer crowds at the games which contribute to not uplifting female sports because of fewer ticket sales. Without the sales of tickets, women’s sports will continue not to receive as much money as they should. The lack of enthusiasm towards women’s sports begins at an early age, in middle and high school. In high school, men’s sports such as basketball and football are more favored and recognized than women’s basketball and volleyball. Because of this, men’s sports receive more money, better uniforms, and more equipment; they also receive more athletic scholarships to universities and some later go on to become drafted. As women, we need and deserve the same opportunities as everyone else.

To try to make both men’s and women’s sports equal we could have more opportunities for women to play with men in football, basketball, and NASCAR. We can also try to be more enthusiastic about going to women’s games and learning about the athletes that play in these games. Do not limit your attention to what you know, explore the things that are new so your perspective among all related things are equal.