Kaitlan - Bowling Green, Ohio

This I believe

How can you cope with something that threatens to turn your life from something joyous to something horrid? What can you do against something that is sure to overwhelm you? How would you beat Goliath?

I believe that you need a little help from someone who is bigger than your Goliath. Fortunately for you and I we have a one way phone line to that certain someone. That phone line is called prayer. Prayer is the one thing that I have come to believe in over the years. I believe that with prayer anything can happen, even if it is not what I want to happen. In my life, prayer has done impossible things, and for which I am most grateful.

About a year ago my mother was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. In the United States only two hundred people had it and the survival rate was unknown because of those numbers. She went through chemotherapy for six months, and those were the hardest months of my life. I have never felt so alone, so helpless in all of my eighteen years of life. I felt like a spectator who was watching one of the most important people in their lives wither away. All I could do was watch. Well that is what I thought anyway.

Exactly three years ago from the day that my mother was diagnosed, my grandmother died of cancer. It was like reliving that horrid moment all over again, only it was with my mom. Yet I had forgotten one important thing, prayer. During that time with my grandmother I had prayed to the only person who could truly grant me peace. Sure I was heartbroken when I found out that she had died, but I was not alone. I would go to my room and just break down, screaming at God for being unfair and hating him for what he had done. Even though this happened I know that he was always there beside me, and he was there with me a year ago.

The small group that my parents were in at church prayed constantly for my mother. They, and my father were the ones who opened my eyes to my inner turmoil. I watched them pray and pray without giving up and I knew that it was helping my father who also was breaking inside. So I began to pray as well.

It was like a burden had been lifted from me, and I could look at my mother with hope in my heart. I began to pray regularly and sometimes pray out loud like it was a normal conversation. Slowly the fear left and my mother regained some of her old self. She finished her chemo at the end of six months and has passed the one year mark of no cancer. On September third her test came back normal, no cancer was found. It was on that day I truly believed in prayer.