Abigail - Bowling Green, Ohio

Beauty in the Mundane

As a child, I was amazed by the beauty in the world. With age, people tend to forget and overlook the simple things that make everything worth fighting for. In order to keep the environment as aesthetically pleasing as possible, all creatures need to respect one another. If the animals respect the humans, the humans will respect the animals, and if everyone respects nature, we could live in a better world.

When we go outdoors, you and I should be able to breathe in fresh air and see animals happily frolicking in a clean environment. If I wanted to see trash strewn all over the place, I would stick my face in a garbage can. It just really astounds me that with all the people in the world, being an “intelligent” race, we cannot figure out how to preserve our natural resources. I know from experience, that little things make a huge difference. For instance, recycling. It is a luxury that America has companies created for that specific cause, and I take advantage of that opportunity. I want to do my part as a citizen of this country to keep it beautiful for my children, and their children, and so on. It all comes back to respect, because I respect the other people and animals that live in this world, the same way one respects their friends. A friend would not throw their trash in their friend’s front yard.

Looking at animals, their lifestyle is much simpler because they have smaller brains than humans. Yet, they exercise basic principles of respect that we lack. The only time an animal kills another animal is for food or self-defense. I believe that people should give these animals the same courtesy. They have every reason to be here that we do, and they are just as important as we are, just slightly less evolved. So, by enforcing poaching laws and protecting endangered species, we are granting them some of the respect they deserve. However, human expansion is threatening many animals’ natural habitats. I realize there is no way to control this, because it is only a matter of time before humans over-populate the earth and everything relies on technology. However, I do believe that animals should have a chance to survive, whether it is in a zoo, a wildlife preserve, or any other place that they can be protected.

With all the beauty in the world, how can people be so easily willing to destroy it? We may not realize it, but every little piece of trash you litter, or every animal you kill for fun, has an affect on someone or something, sometime, somewhere. Rather than taking advantage of the things we have today, think about tomorrow, and realize that all beautiful things need nurturing.