Ashley - Bowling Green, Ohio
Themes: democracy

“This I Believe”

Imagine you are a young girl getting in your bed at night, and just beginning to drift off to sleep. Your comfortable happy and optimistic, and then a soldier kicks in your door. You find that some family member spoke out about the government and they have come to arrest and possibly kill the entire family. This does not happen in the U.S. and we must ensure that it never will, but across the globe, it happens in countless countries. This is my main reason why I believe there should be a constant spread of democracy among all countries. Recently, the United States has helped Iraq rid itself of this type of fear. We have made it a priority to liberate the Iraqi people from an oppressive dictatorship.

On April 9, 2003, the Iraqi people were liberated from the rule of one of the most tyrannical dictators. Thanks to the U.S. now 53 million Iraqi people are now free to enjoy their liberties. To ensure the freedom of our nation and for it to remain the most powerful nation, we must help Iraq to embrace democracy as soon as possible. Freedom is never out of reach, but as long as there are countries under the influence of dictatorships, there will always be threats to bring down the United States. Those who have never lived under any other form of government can easily take democracy for granted, as have I. I admit that I have taken the freedoms that democracy brings for granted. I realize that America’s freedoms are not guaranteed unless we show the great effect that democracy can have on a country. After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the United States was faced