Alex - Marion, Iowa

This I believe

I believe the world that is not made better by of the people who do their jobs well or even are the best. I believe the world is better by the people who do their job because it should and needs to be done.

In high school decided I want make career out of music. I was inspired by my teachers and mentors. I felt so empowered by these abilities I learned from them that I felt had to pass them on to another. It was then I decided to be a teacher.

I remember one day, my senior year in high school I was talking in the library with a few kids in my class. One of the students was very arrogant and self-absorbed kid. Of all the kids I knew in my lifetime, you could call this one my only rival.

We got on the topic of jobs and plans for after high school. My friends were exited talking about going to college and hopefully finding a happy life. My rival made it very apparent that he was going off to major in business and make himself a successful future.

When it got to my plans, I told them I wanted to become a music teacher and teach in a school quite much like the one we were in.

My rival then laughed at my face. He though I would be a poor teacher to kids when there are so many better musicians than me. My rival even used himself as an example. I remember his exact words were “I could teach a class better than you.”

His words cut deep. There was fact in what he said. There will always be people better than me.

But then I felt a fire burn deep down in a place I rarely felt. I stood right up in front of him and spoke honestly.

He was right; I am gonna be a crappy teacher in comparison to his abilities. I don’t even think I could ever match his full potential. I then declared, in the future I will gladly surrender my baton and step down from the podium if he were to walk in to my class with a teaching license in music.

But the truth was he was going to become a business man, make billions of dollars, and live out his days in luxury as he said. And so that leaves the job to me, I will get my degree and teach, poorly (I said using his own words). And I will keep on teaching until he arrives to take my place.

I then sat down cracking wise smile and opening my planner. I then asked him if he could be so kind to tell me date he plans on arriving so I can clear out my desk in time.

On those words my rival gave an indignant snort and stormed out of the library.

Of this I believe.