Pepo - Syracuse, New York

This I believe

There are numerous values or beliefs in life that I believe in but the deepest and most private are the ones I will most unlikely write or talk about. And this is the belief I will share with you…

I believe that no matter how different in culture, ethnicity or background people are, there is one thing that they all have in common – that is their unwillingness to share their most personal beliefs in front of an unknown audience.

This “unwillingness” could be caused by different factors. Fear, embarrassment, expression restrictions, freedom of speech are just some of the reasons that make people uncomfortable to pour out some of their core values and beliefs in front of unfamiliar crowd.

Fear and embarrassment, I believe, are the two most dominant motives that cause the unease at people when it comes to talking about personal beliefs in front of strangers. To large extent, those two factors could even be viewed together. For example, I fear the embarrassment of getting up in front of a group of strangers and talk for several minutes about my beliefs on true love, sex, alcohol, or other similar issues. The fear will be dictated by the involuntary mental responses of the people I am sharing those personal beliefs with. If I say, for example, that I believe in true love or in one love, this will bring up different thoughts in the different people. Some will not believe me, others will say I am odd, and some could think good of me. But this uncertainty of the way it is perceived is what makes most people afraid, embarrassed or afraid and embarrassed to share their personal beliefs with group of strangers.

The other motive that prevents some people from sharing their core values and personal beliefs could be the lack of freedom of speech. Living in an open society, we often take for granted the ability to express our beliefs freely. There are many people or societies around the world that have beliefs but not the freedom to express them in front of unfamiliar audience. This is one of the reasons for the formation of different groups among those societies. It is easier and safer if a belief is expressed by a group of people than by individuals.

In closing, my true personal beliefs and core values that guide my life still remain unexpressed because of fear or embarrassment or simply because of my unwillingness to share them with a group of unknown people. And I believe, I am not the only one….